Monday, January 27, 2014

Macklemore and the Grammy's

So like many Americans my first exposure to the rapper Macklemore was the song "Thrift Shop". I enjoyed the song, it was kind of catchy, kind of fun, and unlike many rap songs I've heard recently it wasn't about sex. It is actually about goodwill hunting for lack of a better term. So basically it was endorsing ideas and things that I had been raised on. So I was all for it and would be on the lookout for more of his songs. Well then came "Same Love". Suddenly I wasn't such a fan. For those of you who don't know the song "Same Love" it is the so called "gay marriage anthem". It says that basically, gay and straight "love" is literally the "same".

So apparently Macklemore decided to take it up a notch at the Grammys by singing "Same Love" while 33 couples got married on stage. Not just gay couples, a few straight ones as well (I don't know the exact numbers).

Honesty, I'm more disappointed in the straight couples who got married alongside the gay couples. When I heard that Macklemore had performed that song during some weddings I figured they were gay "marriages". The Bible quite clearly defines marriage as the union between a man and a woman. Therefore gay "marriages" aren't marriages at all in the biblical sense. However, those "straight" marriages at least have the potential to be biblical marriages. yet they still chose to erode the definition of marriages by participating alongside the others. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me that causes more problems. It supports the erosion of marriage more. Thoughts?

On the positive side Stephen Colbert won the Grammy for best spoken word. At least something turned out positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment